There are many famous Czech Republic residents which are known all around the world. Here is a list of some of the famous Czechs.
- Gregor Johann Mendel (1822-1884). He is the father of genetics and the laws of heredity which are known as Mendel’s Laws. Mendel received his education at the Augustinian monastery in Brno where he also performed his experiments with plants. Mendel also taught at the technical school in Brno. He coined the terms ‘dominance’and ‘recessiveness’, still used in present-day genetics.
- Franz Kafka (1878-1930). Austrian-Czech writer and a significant figure in the 20th century literature. He wrote in German and his best known novels are The Trial (1925), The Castle (1926), and America (1927).
- Ivana Trump. She is a former model and wife of Donald Trump who was a part of New York City’s social elite during the 1980s. When she divorced Donald Trump, Ivana won a 20 million divorce settlement and later published a novel.
- Ema Destinnová (1878-1930). A great Czech soprano and patriot, also known as Emmy Destinn. She sang at some of the most prestigious opera houses in the world, including the Covent Garden, the Berlin Hofoper, and the New York Metropolitan Opera, and also sang with Enrico Caruso.
- Dominik Hašek (1965). Ice-hockey goalie nicknamed “the Dominator”, born in Pardubice, Czechoslovakia. He played for the NHL (Detroit Red Wings and Buffalo Sabres) for 12 years and retired in June 2002. He was voted NHL Most Valuable Player and awarded the Hart Trophy twice, the Vezina Trophy (best goalie) six times, the Jennings Trophy in 1994, and the Stanley Cup in 2002.
- Joy Adamson (1910-1980). She was a conservationist who pioneered the movement to preserve African life. Joy won renown with her books about raising the lion cub Elsa.
Comments to "Famous Czechs"