Getting a work visa

Getting a work visa

If you want to work in the Czech Republic the first thing you should do is to apply for the right type of visa.

Determine whether you need visa or not

As you may know, EU citizens do not need a visa to live and work in the Czech Republic. Other nationalities such as Australia and the USA do not need a visa for stays up to 90 days due to bilateral agreements. It is noteworthy that everyone who stays in the country for more than 30 days needs to register with the Alien and Border Police.

Types of visas

Here are the following types of visas for non-EU individuals.

  • Short-term (Schengen) Visa. This type of visa will allow you to stay in the Czech Republic for a period of no longer than 90 days. The Schengen area relates to 25 countries in Europe which you can travel to. You are not allowed to work on this type of visa.
  • Work visa. If you wish to work in the Czech Republic for less than 90 days you should obtain a work visa, with the exception of the EU nationals. To obtain this visa, the individual must receive an employment permit from an employment office in the Czech Republic.
  • Long-term visa. If you want to stay in the Czech Republic for more than 90 days you should apply for this type of visa. It is valid for one year and the application should be filed in your home country.
  • Permanent Residency. Permanent Residency visas are issued for a family member reunion with a Czech permanent resident or if someone has been living in the country for 8 years continuously. It is valid for ten years.

Getting a work visa is not an issue for the short-term. Getting a work visa for over 90 days stay becomes more complicated and takes anywhere from three to six months.

Comments to "Getting a work visa"